If there’s one thing I love about the ending of a year, it’s the excuse to buy 3 new dresses for new years year end questionnaires that everyone does. This year, I decided to join the masses and fill out the one I found here. Not only did it let me reflect on the year, it also let me practice my page linking abilities. AND THAT’S ALWAYS FUN.
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Lost sleep over the New Hampshire primary. Taught my own class. Recited Shakespeare to the masses. Hid in a classroom to avoid talking to a woman who didn’t like my hair.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Oh dude. Not even close. If keeping resolutions was like winning gold in the Olympics, I’m fairly confident you’d find me in the bleachers. Drinking beer. Heckling those who attempted to finish the race. That’s how far I was from accomplishing my goals. Here was my LIST of resolutions. I succeeded in accomplishing January, February, August and October. And really, ‘accomplishing’ my August goal meant going on a Mexican holiday, so really can I pat myself on the back for that? With that said, I’m definitely making resolutions for this year, but that’s a whole other post for another day.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Actually, one of my friends just gave birth last week. I didn’t blog about it because I mean, what’s more important- sharing the miracle that is bringing life into the world or me complaining about losing at Risk? That’s what I thought.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
A permanent job. Or, a cell phone battery that lasts more than 2 hours. Either of these would bring me immeasurable joy.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
November 4th. We know why.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Without a single doubt- this.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Failing almost all of last years resolutions. Or, jumping on the Twilight bandwagon. OR SNOWBOARDING.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I suffered a case of the Januaries, a concussion, a few bouts of severe insomnia, a few colds given to me by children who smear germs all over me and numerous paper cuts.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A plane ticket.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
These little guys for getting what some adults still don’t understand.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
14. Where did most of your money go?
It would be so cool if I could say something awesome like … buying parrots or crystal encrusted toothbrushes wouldn’t?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Obama. Obviously. Even after it really sank in that I couldn’t vote (being Canadian and all), it was still exciting. Colts football, seeing Stomp (mostly because I thought I would become the newest member- I can hit a garbage can with a broom handle better than most), my ugly Christmas sweater.
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
“You are the best thing” by Ray LaMontagne, “I kissed a girl” by Katy Perry, “Drive On” by Johnny Cash and “Womanizer” by Britney Spears. Oh! And “Gardenia” by Mandy Moore. Actually, I’m just dedicating this entire year to Mandy Moore.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
b) thinner or fatter?
c) richer or poorer?
Happier, thinner and richer. Wow. When it gets said like that, 2008 was pretty awesome.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
All the things I say I would do if I could do anything.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Cocaine. And you know, making jokes about pretending to do cocaine.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
With the family, getting my ass handed to me in board games. Thanks again mom!
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
Does Edward Cullen count?
22. What was your favorite TV program?
The Rachel Maddow Show. Saturday Night Live. The Daily Show. The Office. The Silver Fox and his Dreamy Eyes talk about politics AC 360.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Perhaps the make up artist who worked on the Twilight movie, but that’s about it.
24. What was the best book you read?
I can’t just pick one, but if I had to narrow it to three, I would say- “American Wife” by Curtis Sittenfeld, “Team of Rivals” by Doris Kearns Goodwin and “Then We Came To the End” by Joshua Ferris. Just typing their titles made me want to go re-read them all. Trust. Good stuff.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Michael Franti, and the joy that is the Taylor Swift sing-a-long. Go ahead, judge me. I’m ready for it.
26. What did you want and get?
An Obama win. An understanding of gmail. Shoes that demand worshipping.
27. What did you want and not get?
A Jen and Brad reconciliation. World Peace. A full-time teaching job.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Recount by HBO Films.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 27 and spent the evening with a crazy mo-fo of a waitress.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
The return of the West Wing.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
I want to say I branched out, but I just cleaned out my closet (again) and counted 26 white tank tops. So, my ‘personal fashion concept of 2008′ consisted of white tank tops and jeans. Topped off with either flip flops or mittens, depending on the weather. Whitney Port will always own one more head wreath than me, let’s just say that.
32. What kept you sane?
Singing to Fiona Apple. Drinking excessively. Jon Stewart. A daily nap.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Obama. Rachel Maddow. Bradley Whitford Josh Lyman.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
It’s hard to pick just one… I think I summed it up best in this one.
35. Who did you miss?
Everyone who wasn’t here.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
The entire Colts football team. I mean, I didn’t “meet” them I person, but I googled them all and read extensively about them, so that counts right? And it also makes me sound like the biggest creep. Well done brandy, well done.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
Nothing ever happens if you don’t show up.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
“I feel like busting loose and I feel like touching you”. Let THAT percolate.