I considered doing a “let’s reflect on everything that happened in 2009” post, but honestly? My brain works better moving forward, rather than looking back. And although 2009 had some ultra, let’s-just-up-and-down-clapping-our-hands-we-are-so-damn-happy-I-look-drunk-with-joy, moments (hello new job! hello H.A.D! hello bangs that don’t make me look like I’m 9 years old!)- I’m ready to move into 2010.
So in the spirit of reflection and moving forward (and yes, it’s possible to do both), here’s 10 great, big, off-the-charts,shout-out-loud, moments I’m excited for in 2010.
1. I’m really working hard on being a better teacher. December… well, let’s just say December left me a little ragged. I showed up the last week of work looking like Courtney Love after a street fight and my lesson plans consisted of listening to Christmas music while creating ornate Christmas crafts involving styrofoam cups, glitter glue and a wicked amount of determination. I put in 14 hours at school today, hunkered down over my new literacy goals (none of which involve singing “Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer” while silently cursing that your googly eyes won’t stick to the construction paper) and am so ready to drop some knowledge bombs on my kids.
2. The H.A.D has an appointment tomorrow. One of those ones that you write down in your planner but you really don’t need to write down in your planner because IT’S AN APPOINTMENT- the kind important kind that gets CAPS ATTACK, the kind that you can’t possibly forget. And though we still don’t know what’s going on, I’m so, so, so ready for some good news. I refuse to think that it will be anything but- so I’m really, ridiculously, over the moon- looking forward to hearing some good news tomorrow. Good news, people. Good damn news.
3. Bloggers In Vegas? Yes. Methinks this needs to happen. (I also need to stop saying ‘methinks’. I know. I KNOW.)
4. Friday, November 19th. What’s that you ask? Oh, just the date of the next *HARRY POTTER MOVIE. Maybe you’ve heard of this particular boy wizard? (Unlike this person.. which still leaves me baffled. I’m not kidding. Sometimes when I’m stuck in traffic or in the shower, I’ll think ‘she didn’t know who Harry Potter was‘ and then my brain just shuts down because it doesn’t know how to process that kind of information).
5. The results of the 20sb awards. I want all the winners to write speeches of acceptance and thank me when they win. (Including Ben, who I consider the Meryl Streep of blogging- he is lovable, talented and has heaps of rightfully deserved accolades thrown his way).
6. The return of Glee. Is it shallow and small that the return of a television show makes my top 10 things to be excited about in 2010? (I said this before reflecting on the fact that the new HARRY POTTER MOVIE made the cut as well. Oh universe. Is there no limit to my geekdom?).
7. More friend time. Life has been hectic since I became you know, employed (hooray for regular pay cheques! boo for getting up before 10 9 8 am)- and I miss my friends. I miss them a thousand times a day and find myself reflecting on the amazing times we had with more and more wistfulness. Because as fantastic as life can be, as structured and safe and productive your world is- there is nothing, nothing like spending the evening with someone who has seen you puke in a flower bush, wipe your mouth off with your sleeve and then proceed to sing “Heartbreaker” while wobbling in your too tall shoes. (I know. H.A.D. is a ridiculously lucky guy. I’m so classy, someone should name a handbag after me).
8. The Olympics, baby! I’m just going to get on my soapbox, throw my toque on, grab a beer and get ridiculously Canadian on you and admit that I think of the Vancouver 2010 Olympics, daily. Sometimes, twice a day. I’m not sure when this obsession first started, but I’m a hardcore Olympic junkie. Like, the kind who a few years ago, was setting her alarm at 4 am to watch curling. February is going to kick all sorts of ass. (For the record? My obsession only applies to winter Olympics. I find the summer Olympics about as entertaining as matching socks).
9. It’s currently -20F (-29C) outside right now with something called FREEZING FOG in the air. So naturally, I’m looking forward to June, July and August. Or just a time when I can go outside and breathe without feeling Mother Nature shove her frigid fist down my throat, freeze my lungs into chunks of ice and make breathing as enjoyable as a televised pap smear.
10. Travel plans the H.A.D and I have. Sigh, I know. I’m so sappy, I’m a freaking maple tree (wait- that’s syrup.. damn, I just messed up an almost clever comparison). But universe? If you knew all the plans we have, all the places we want to go and ridiculous conversations that we have on the regular (that he continually insists he will put on ‘the blog’), you’d be excited too.
What are you most excited for in 2010?
(If it involves the HARRY POTTER MOVIE, just get over here and exchange friendship bracelets with me already)
* I own a wand people. My excitement over this movie (even 11 months early) cannot be overstated.