One of the best reasons to have a blog (other than the free swag- I’m STILL WAITING FOR GAP TO START THROWING PARTIES FOR CANADIAN BLOGGERS- I’M JUST SAYING), is that it’s easy to see what you were doing one week ago, or one month ago or one year ago. You can simply just click in the archives and you will find your past feelings and thoughts and anecdotes perfectly preserved. You can hit a particular month and find out what was breaking your heart, how drunk you got on cheap wine at your friends party, what social causes were causing you to lose sleep. A blog is like a time capsule that you contribute to each time you hit ‘publish’. I love that.
I took this week off from blogging. I’m pretty sure the responsible thing to do is to let people know you are taking time off, rather than drop off the blogging universe and wake up to find a few dozen emails in your inbox asking “ARE YOU OKAY? WHAT’S GOING ON?”, because then you have to sheeplishly reply “I’m good, I’m just really hooked on BSG and have consumed so many non-fat, no whip white hot chocolates I’m in the sweetest coma ever”). But the blogging break is over and while sitting down to figure out what story or thought I just HAD TO SHARE, I started reading my archives. Specifically the Februarys of past. And I realized something (well two things- I was a hell of a lot funnier in the past, my funny gene is in hibernation), that many things have gotten better. And because I’m a list girl, and because after a week off I need to ease back into blogging and a list is the “just the tip” version of a great blog post, here it is:
5 Things That Have Gotten Better In The Past Year
1. I have a H.A.D. Cue the sap right at the start. I know, I’m ridiculous. Truth be told, I kind of had him at this time last year, but we were no where near where we are now. I’m pretty sure I was still in that stage where I peed my pants when I talked to him and then thought the best way to win him over would be to disagree with everything he said and say “ewwwwww!” everytime he made a gross joke. So, I basically was acting like a junior high girl with a great rack and a checking account at this time last year. Thankfully, H.A.D. is a patient man.
2. I have a job. One that I go to everyday. One where I sit at my own desk and fill the drawers with candy and extra shoes and bags of almonds (to pretend I’m healthy when I just want to eat the candy). Last February I was still subbing, and although in a hundred different ways, subbing made for better stories- I’m glad I have a job right now. (Italics meaning that I won’t have a job in the fall most likely, so I’m thankful for the one I have THIS SECOND).
3. I know what love is. For the record, I cringed typing that sentence, it sounds like it’s straight out of an 80′s power ballad featuring a Michael Bolton. Last year I wrote on what I thought love was. And although I agree with everything I said in the past, especially the idea of love meaning checking each other for lice- after everything that’s happened since last February, or let’s face it, last December, I just feel like I know a little more about what love is. And although I’d rather not have learned this lesson the way I did, I’m grateful that I’ve learned anything through this experience- and that I’m learning everything with someone I love. AWWWWWWWW. I swear. This sap is a sickness and I don’t have a cure. Feel free to club me back into sarcasm.
4. A little show called BATTLESTAR GALACTICA has been introduced to me. And for that alone, I have to say 2010 is rocking. Sure, I think Starbuck (or, as I like to call her, Starbucks- just to annoy HAD) is the most ANNOYING HUMAN ON THE PLANET AND 99% OF THE TIME THE ONLY REASON I’M SAD SHE’S NOT A CYCLON IS BECAUSE THEN THERE WOULD BE MORE VERSIONS OF HER TO WITNESS BEING LAME and that would cause me to drink heavily (even more heavily than Starbucks), the show is pretty genius. And has introduced me to the word ‘frack’. Which alone is 203,104 shades of awesome.
5. THE COLTS ARE IN THE SUPERBOWL. Please universe, let them win. I will be watching the game in my Colts jersey, wearing my colts toque, peeing my pants in less than four hours. I want this more than anything. I’d given Peyton my kidneys, if HAD already hadn’t offered his to him first. GO COLTS!
What’s better in your world this year?
Inspired by this.