So one of my friends emailed me this and it pretty much consumed me with reckless, uninhibited glee. Sort of like how you would feel if you were perched in Hawaii, taking a bath in chocolate sauce, listening to your favourite song after finding the Hope diamond in your sock drawer, when Ryan Reynolds comes in and offers to paint your nails. Shirtless.
As much as I adore lists- I’ve never been a “Life List” girl. My wants- my over the top suddenly I can’t die happy unless this happens, ultimate guide to unparalleled joy wants, change pretty regularly. If life is a buffet, I am a constant nibbler- not someone who picks four things and then sits down. I want to try a thousand different things and spit out what I don’t like. So the idea of writing a list and sticking to it, just never seemed appealing. Until I saw this list.
A list of irresponsible, liberating and slightly crazy things to do? That’s something I can support.
Maybe it’s because this last month has taught me that more things happen when I say YES than when I say NO but I decided to make my own list of radical (to me!) plans and complete each one in a single month. 10 irresponsible, liberating and slightly crazy things to do, that must be done by the end of June. Because the only ones for me are the mad ones.
1. Instead of skipping out on the bill (which was suggested in the original list- which? Is too dodgy for me since I had so many friends working in the service industry when I was in university), pay for someone else’s meal. Not their Starbucks order- their meal.
2. Spend a weekend eating only what looks absolutely delicious. Disregard proper meal times and caloric intake. Instead of fretting over fat grams and workout plans, really enjoy eating and give luscious foods a home in my body.
3. Email 3 of my co-workers (that I’m not particularly close to) and give them each a compliment.
4. Get patio drunk before noon. On a weekday.
5. Get rid of 50% of my clothes. AT LEAST 50% of my clothes. Donate them to the neighbor’s kids who are currently wearing flood pants and paisley snap shirts.
6. Spend an hour outside reading poetry with my class. Do not worry about where this fits into the curriculum, or what we could be doing instead. Soak in that hour and let the words of Elizabeth Bishop and Shel Silverstein hang heavy in the air.
7. Do not give a single further ‘hello’ in the hallway to the co-worker who made May miserable.
8. Hold another contest and give away something I love.
9. Buy a plane ticket.
10. Get up an hour earlier, whip out the hot rollers, liter of hairspray and invest a morning in creating the hair I caress on magazine covers but am always too lazy to attempt to replicate.
So that’s my list. Far from shaving my head and getting my favourite chocolate chip cookie recipe tattooed on my forearm, but each item on my list requires some sort of sacrifice or fearlessness or just getting out of my comfort zone (sadly, if I had created this list during my time in university- #4 would not be out of my comfort zone. Ahh, noon beers, how I miss thee…). June 1st is going to be my start date.
Anyone else want to join me for a month of living selfishly and with reckless abandon?