I have a student in my class, let’s call him Jake. He’s (secretly) one of my favourite students because he tends to see the glass half full and is grumpy in the most endearing way. He struggles socially and spends a lot of recesses with me as he says “I don’t have friends because my brain has a hard time making some”. He has big brown eyes and his shoe laces are always undone. Jake has a lot of anxiety issues and when I have a substitute at school, he’s so worried about me he works in counsellors office to help …READ MORE
1. I don’t drink smoothies. I mean, I WANT to drink them. Every person I know raves about them on the daily. But let’s face it. I’m lazy as hell. And smoothies involve peeling and chopping and slicing and giving a fuck. Smoothies are like, french braids or completed crosswords done in pen. You want to show off that you’ve completed it but there’s a level of effort involved that no one wants to talk about. I slice a lemon into my naglene and think I’m channeling Eric Ripert.
2. I skipped the Grammy Awards because I don’t need another …READ MORE
I went through a phase in my early teens when I was obsessed with jury selection (I mean, who DIDN’T have that phase?) and read every book possible on the topic. This was after the OJ Simpson case and I was convinced that the right jury would have REALIZED WHAT EVERYONE ELSE ALREADY KNEW. I became an expert on how to spot liars, identify psychopaths and establish who wants to wants to chop off your head and use it as a soup bowl so I was convinced I would be up for online dating.
I mean, isn’t that what it …READ MORE
If you don’t know me or haven’t followed my blog, you may not know this about me:
I was once very angry. Not outwardly angry- not slash your tires angry or kick the wall with your boots on angry. I wasn’t even punch a pillow angry. I was anger turned inward- a soul crushing sort of inner angry that manifested itself through debilitating depression that left me unable to get out of bed and at times, suicidal.
Well that was one hell of an opener. (I promise, it gets more light hearted…).
The hows and whys of how one gets …READ MORE
I know the best people on the internet. These are my favourite tweets of the entire year. Drumroll please……
- “Can’t walk when I’m this angry.”- @HonestToddler
- “You’re just a feeling.”- @PreschoolGems
- “After Cinderella’s carriage turned back into a pumpkin, it was turned into 10,000 pumpkin spice lattes so everyone was fuckin’ thrilled.” – @AngryBFlay
- “I’m learning to drop my fear of being earnest. We’ve been taught to mock earnestness, but it’s truly a lovely thing.”- @schmutzie
” ‘Razbliuto’ is a Russian word to describe that empty feeling you have for someone you once loved, …READ MORE
I want you to think of the bucket list that you have. Whether it’s triumphantly displayed on your blog, written shyly in your journal or catalogued in the recesses of your brain right after the recipe for spinach dip your mother gave you, I want you to rename that list “Things I Wish To Do Sometime Before I Die”.
Not very powerful is it?
When death is your finish line, you’re running the wrong race.
Considering that you are a perishable item with an expiry date, we could go further and rename your bucket list “Things I Wish To Do …READ MORE
I just wanted a Pippa Middleton moment.
I’ve never had a note worthy ass. There is not a lot of junk in my trunk and I’ve been in awe of a great booty since Destiny’s Child first started singing about them. Magazines told me that with a personal trainer and a solid two hour (DAILY) work out, I could proudly have a rear to rival my favourite Kardashian. But I like free time and I don’t have a personal trainer and let’s get real- I’m a bit lazy. So I had gently told myself that living bootylicious-less in the world …READ MORE
1. The moment where I realized that not only would I be meeting bloggers at the airport, but that Kelly and Katherine would be waiting with a handmade sign. And that within minutes, we would be pulling off artistic poses like this. Obviously Katherine and I are ready for our own Vegas show. Genius is a fire within us. It is why we blog.
2. The moment Amanda became my pusher and I went from this:
into this: “MORE ENERGY DRINKS! NOW LET’S GO SING CELINE DION KARAOKE! GET ON BOARD”
I drove home today with fingers itching to type this post. Ahh, so this is what it’s like to be inspired!
On a recent road trip, I listened to The Five Secrets You Must Discover Before You Die (STAY WITH ME, NOW) and it blew my mind in the way that only having someone articulate the things you already believe deep down inside but don’t know how to say does. The secrets are based on interviews with people who were nominated all across Canada and the United States due to the wisdom, happiness and contentment they displayed to those around …READ MORE
I am forever amazed at how fucking awesome the people I know are. I mean it. I’m not sure how I was able to cultivate friendships with such a talented, brilliant and gifted group of women but I am glad I did. My life is marked by the fingerprints these women leave, through their writing and word, kind acts and calls for action and I am better for it.
They are talented moms and friends, wives and daughters, runners and photographers, big idea people and get it done people. They are the women who write essays that can leave me …READ MORE