Inspired by Ashley who a) re-did my blog (and never once laughed at any of my horrible passwords) b) is wonderfully talented and c) who reminded me that not knowing computer design makes sense if I’ve never been taught COMPUTER DESIGN.
1. Not blogging enough.
2. The music on your ipod.
3. The behavior of anyone but yourself.
4. Not understanding anything you haven’t been taught.
5. Buying Us Weekly.
6. Photos you publish on Instagram.
7. Explaining how you feel.
8. Buying movie tickets to Nicolas Cage movies and thus encouraging him to continue acting.
10. Choices …READ MORE
Say you are sitting in Starbucks and you see a woman with a stroller who is struggling to open the door.
You have a choice. Either return to your issue of Glamour newspaper while using your stealth peripheral vision to see who goes to help the woman or you go and hold the door open for the woman.
Say you decide to help the woman. Your morals, your belief in how to behave in any situation, requires you to act. She will say thank you, you will reply with “Oh, it’s no problem!” but inside you are secretly full of glee at …READ MORE
38 days ago I entered an essay contest that asked me “How do you live life on your own terms?”.
38 days ago I sat down at my computer and wrote the hardest words I ever wrote.
38 days ago I told the story of the night I decided to finally end everything- including my life that felt too full with all the things I couldn’t handle, the feelings that were anything but good, feelings of suffocation and panic, regret and despair.
I wrote without stopping, editing or thinking. I wrote the night out exactly as I remembered it, gently …READ MORE
I drove home today with fingers itching to type this post. Ahh, so this is what it’s like to be inspired!
On a recent road trip, I listened to The Five Secrets You Must Discover Before You Die (STAY WITH ME, NOW) and it blew my mind in the way that only having someone articulate the things you already believe deep down inside but don’t know how to say does. The secrets are based on interviews with people who were nominated all across Canada and the United States due to the wisdom, happiness and contentment they displayed to those around …READ MORE
The Secret Project….
1. I like Nickelback. I’ve never gotten why everyone thinks they’re THAT bad.
2. Having something to actually be sad about would make admitting that I’m this sad and broken easier and I might actually try to seek help. But I fear that having something that sad and horrible happen would crush me into a thousand pieces and I would never recover, so every night I beg the universe that nothing any worse than what already exists happens, because I don’t think I could survive it. I’ve come to accept this ever-lasting emptiness because I’m afraid to admit …READ MORE
I am forever amazed at how fucking awesome the people I know are. I mean it. I’m not sure how I was able to cultivate friendships with such a talented, brilliant and gifted group of women but I am glad I did. My life is marked by the fingerprints these women leave, through their writing and word, kind acts and calls for action and I am better for it.
They are talented moms and friends, wives and daughters, runners and photographers, big idea people and get it done people. They are the women who write essays that can leave me …READ MORE
I admit it.
Sometimes when I’m on twitter casually trying to drum up sympathy for my current PINK EYE situation or trying to find someone who has watched the latest Downton Abbey episode and wants to talk about THE CREEPY PATRICK (real? not real?), I will read a tweet about cancer and feel nothing less than a semi truck slam against my insides.
As everyone who has been touched by cancer knows- (is there anyone who hasn’t at this point?) the soul crushing feelings that accompany the word cancer, never leave. You just find new ways to deal with it …READ MORE
Last year I went to BiSC (check the previous post if you don’t know what this. And no, this isn’t going to be another plea for me to get my ticket paid for. ALTHOUGH I’D REALLY LIKE IT IF I WON THAT CONTEST) and I admit- I did something for that trip I never thought I’d do.
And up until this second, I have never told anyone.
When I went to Vegas, I went with hair extensions.
And right now you are all- eye rolling and saying “girl, please. I thought you were going to give up something juicy like …READ MORE
BiSC. Heard of it?
I had the term written on my calendar at work and one of my students asked if BiSC stood for “Betcha I’m So Cool”. I almost agreed, because yes- that phrase definitely fits.
If you are out of the loop, BiSC actually stands for “Bloggers in Sin City”. Last year on a whim, I signed up to go to Vegas and spent 4 days with some of the most thoughtful, amazing and hilarious people on the planet. Who just happened to be bloggers. I wore a balloon hat for 7 hours straight, there was a band created …READ MORE
New: Important follow-up at the end of the post
Secret Project Time!
Also, look at how cute Macy is!
I know. I KNOW. Adorable. Now to the secrets!
1. My friend from work is dating a former coworker of ours whom I can’t stand. I think he’s obnoxious and stupid and full of himself when he has no reason to be. Even though she seems really happy with him, I keep hoping that they’ll break up, and I feel awful about it.
2. I love my life. Everyone around me is struggling in some area but I just …READ MORE